Home Articles FAQs XREF Games Software Instant Books BBS About FOLDOC RFCs Feedback Sitemap
irt.Org

BBS: Re: Pop-up Text with MouseOver - August 25, 1998 at 12:15:54

You are here: irt.org | BBS | Re: Pop-up Text with MouseOver [This BBS is closed]

Posted by Sam SoRelle on August 25, 1998 at 12:15:54:

In Reply to: Re: Pop-up Text with MouseOver posted by Jason Nugent on August 24, 1998 at 07:43:49:

: : I would like to create text descriptions that will "pop up" when the mouse is over a link - like the "yellow" boxes that pop-up on irt.org's Article Listings. I have looked at the code, but I cannot figure out where the text boxes are coming from. Is this a CSS function?

I have downloaded and printed your article on CSS - very well done.

It looks like I need to become versed in DHTML. What a mess - I use IE4.01; however, it looks like I am going to have to learn both MS and Netscape versions of DHTML!!

Thanks for your response.

: : I am a "newbie" to Javascript and have not started looking at CSS yet, so any help on good tutorials for CSS is greatly appreciated.

: : Thanks.

:
: The text popups used here at IRT are done in Dynamic HTML. The popup text is actually given its own "layer" (or ID, in dHTML terms) and is hidden by default. When you mouseover the link, the layer containing the text is made visible by swapping the hidden visibility attribute to "visible". The mouse off function hides it again. If you look closely at the code you will see a second table that contains the text. It is hidden by default.
: CSS doesn't really have anything to do with JavaScript. You can use CSS in your site without even touching JS, and also vice versa. JS can manipulate the values that you have set through CSS which makes it very powerful and dynamic.
: Tutorials on CSS, you say? Check out my article in the CSS section of this site - an Introduction to CSS.

: http://www.irt.org/articles/js084/index.htm

: Jason

Follow-ups:

You are here: irt.org | BBS | Re: Pop-up Text with MouseOver [This BBS is closed]

©2018 Martin Webb