Home Articles FAQs XREF Games Software Instant Books BBS About FOLDOC RFCs Feedback Sitemap
irt.Org

BBS: Re: Javascript clock - August 09, 1998 at 10:02:37

You are here: irt.org | BBS | Re: Javascript clock [This BBS is closed]

Posted by Martin Webb on August 09, 1998 at 10:02:37:

In Reply to: Javascript clock posted by W.Pettrey on August 07, 1998 at 09:46:07:

: hello, I'm currently using your javascript image clock from article 23 and it works great. I was wondering if you know of a way that i could have a clock that always shows universal time (gmt) regardless of which time zone the computer is in? I relise that javascript clocks rely on the internal clock of the computer and that it would be impossible to detect which country the computer is in but i would appreciate any ideas, perheps this could be accomplished with java?
: Thank , Bill

There is an article on this site that describes how to *attempt* to get the currect time for the user visiting your site:

"The 24 Hour World" at http://www.irt.org/articles/js076/index.htm

although there are several problems using client side JavaScript to get the users time - not least the number of bugs in all the browsers.

A server side approach using Perl would be better - but I doubt if the server can tell where in the world the user is located to be able to do this.

Follow-ups:

You are here: irt.org | BBS | Re: Javascript clock [This BBS is closed]

©2018 Martin Webb